- In stock
Foreword by Levison Wood, presenter of Walking the Americas. A comprehensive, fascinating and inspiring gallery of the great adventures that changed our world.
Throughout history there have been brave men and women who dared to go where few had gone before. They broke new ground by drawing on incredible reserves of courage, fortitude and intelligence in the face of terrible adversity. Their endeavours changed the world and inspired generations.
Spanning several centuries and united by the common theme of the resilience of the human spirit, this is the ultimate collection of the stories of the intrepid explorers who forged new frontiers across land, sea, skies and space.
50 incredible journeys including;
• Tenzing and Hillary’s conquest of Everest
• Neil Armstrong’s giant leap
• Christopher Columbus’ new world
• Amelia Earhart flying the Atlantic
• gold fever in the Yukon
• the hunt for a man-eating leopard in India
Great Expeditions includes not only some of the most famous journeys in history but also introduces many more that ought to be more widely recognised and celebrated.
- ”'Hearing of this title my heart sunk a little, a book filled with (mostly) Victorian moustache twiddling tales of derring do - or so I thought - how wrong can you be? Instead the word journey has been interpreted in its broadest sense.”- Sue Baker (Love Reading) Voted as October 2016 Non-Fiction Book of the Month.
- ”'If you want some journey inspiration…”- Levison Wood