- In stock
Do you understand ‘textbook English’ recordings but not what you hear in the real world?
To improve your listening skills, you need to hear real conversations. That’s why Collins Listening is based entirely on 50 authentic everyday interactions to help you understand what is said to you, whatever the circumstances.
From buying a mobile phone to asking for directions, joining a gym to understanding transport announcements, Listening will help you understand what is said to you in real life situations and make sure everything you learn is useful.
- Twenty 4-page units with exercises and vocabulary work to help you understand differences in pronunciation and vocabulary
- Authentic recordings of both native and non-native speakers of English, covering a wide variety of accents from around the world
- Recordings include face-to-face conversations, public announcements, telephone calls, bookings, shopping scenarios and more
- Additional real vocabulary for everyday life, taken from the COBUILD English corpus
Collins Listening is part of the new English for Life series and uses authentic material from the Collins Corpus, the world’s largest database of the English language. It is suitable for self-study and classroom use, and can help towards Cambridge FCE preparation. Suitable for Intermediate learners of English (CEF level B1+).
- About the Collins English for Life series:‘… superb, attractively packaged series (…) excellent support for candidates preparing for the Cambridge FCE and higher (…) work on the topics, skills and current needs of the language learner (…) may be used in various ways: either by learners alone, by teachers, or by teacher trainers on language development courses.’
- About English for Life: Listening:‘…takes extracts of discourse directly from the Cobuild corpus of English in order to integrate authentic examples with tasks on, for example, adapting to local customs.’
- Wayne Trotman, EL Gazette, August 2012