- In stock
Use the UNESCO World Heritage app to explore all the World Heritage sites at home or while on your travels, choosing your favourites and marking them off as you visit them.
The UNESCO World Heritage site list is managed by the World Heritage Committee with strict criteria; only the world's most spectacular and extraordinary sites are accepted. The list covers delights such as the ancient Nabataean city of Petra in Jordan and the legendary Acropolis in Athens to the more unusual Moai (carved heads) in the Rapua Nui National Park in Chile and the monastery-crowned rock pinnacles of Meteora in Greece.
The UNESCO World Heritage app could not be easier to use and enables you to browse the World Heritage sites via a variety of categories. These categories are:
• Index: An A-Z list of all UNESCO World Heritage sites
• Year Inscribed: The year that sites were added to the World Heritage List
• Country: World Heritage sites organized by country
• Classification of site: Choose from Cultural, Natural or Mixed sites
• Favourites: Browse the sites you have marked as favourites
• Recently Viewed: The last 20 UNESCO sites you have viewed
• Random: Display a UNESCO site at random
You can also bookmark your favourite sites and email your friends the description of any site.
The app includes:
• Over 650 stunning photographs
• Descriptions of all UNESCO World Heritage sites
• New 2012 sites included
In 1972 the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) adopted the Convention concerning the Protection of the World's Cultural and Natural Heritage. The World Heritage List includes 962 properties forming part of the cultural and natural heritage which the World Heritage Committee considers as having outstanding universal value. These include 745 cultural, 188 natural and 29 mixed properties in 157 states. As of March 2012, 189 states parties have ratified the World Heritage Convention.