Boost students’ understanding of grammar and punctuation to improve their writing and their GCSE results, with all the extra teaching resources, practice and homework activities, assessment and progress-tracking capabilities of Collins Connect.
Each of the thirty-six tutorials explains a key aspect of grammar, spelling or punctuation within a GCSE or IGCSE writing context. By exploring the choices other writers make, students will learn how to strengthen their own writing at a word, sentence, paragraph and whole text level.
•Recap the basics of word classes; sentence grammar, including tenses and mood; punctuation and paragraphing in Chapter 1.
•Focus on the specifics of writing to inform and explain; writing to summarise; writing to argue and persuade; writing to explore and analyse; and writing to describe and narrate in dedicated chapters.
•Explore the sample answers in the final chapter on spelling, proofreading and editing to help students understand how they can check and improve their work in exams and controlled assessments.
This explicit, purposeful teaching of grammar, spelling and punctuation in GCSE and IGCSE writing contexts will help students obtain the marks available for accuracy and access the wider range of marks available for effective expression.
These one-off tutorials can be used in regular grammar sessions or as an intensive intervention programme as part of your GCSE course or as a preparation for key stage 4 in Year 9.
- ‘An ideal starting point for planning review lessons or for One to One tuition ideas. Good range of texts all linked to APP statements.‘
- A. Butler, Amazon.co.uk
- ‘Overall, I love the concept of these books. As a school which is supposed to be leading on APP, I would find them very useful in terms of supporting individual students with curricular targets.’
- Katy Wayne, Heathfield Community College
- ‘The Chapter Opener, Check Your Progress and Level Booster Features are wonderful’
- Rav Bali, English Consultant, Bolton