- In stock
A stunning edition of this modern classic of World War One, featuring an introduction by the author and insightful testimonies from soldiers.
Told in the voice of Private Tommo Peaceful, the story follows twenty-four hours at the front, and captures his memories of his family and his village life – by no means as tranquil as it appeared.
Full of vivid detail and engrossing atmosphere, leading to a dramatic and moving conclusion, Private Peaceful is both a compelling love story and a deeply moving account of the First World War.
-Introduction by Michael Morpurgo-Inspiration letter by Michael Morpurgo-Background on the execution of British soldiers in WW1 for cowardice, including personal testimony from soldiers
- “His [Tommo’s] journey from agricultural labourer to cannon fodder is movingly told… Michael Morpurgo is expert at getting through to his readers. He writes here about events that should never be forgotten nor forgiven, and does so most effectively.” Independent
- “Full of warmth as well as grief, conveying vividly how precious it is to be alive” Sunday Times
- “The best novel he’s written since The Butterfly Lion.” Times
- “Deserved to last as an insight into the First World War in the same way as, say, The Silver Sword or Goodnight Mr Tom.” Telegraph
- “A poignant, elegiac novel.” Daily Mail