- In stock
Read by Derek Jacobi and Michael Morpurgo
Set on a farm in rural Devon, this is a collection of Grandpa’s reminiscences and stories as told to his grandson. Grandpa’s nature and his touching relationship with the boy is evoked superbly by Michael Morpurgo’s writing.
This two-voice read brings the characters to life as the story of Grandpa’s ‘shame’ (the fact that he cannot read and write) unfolds.
Derek Jacobi is sensitive and compelling in the role of Grandpa, inspiring a true sense of achievement and triumph as he finally tells his own story in his own words.
- ‘Here is a very important book, combining the very best of storytelling and illustration.’JUNIOR EDUCATION
- ‘If there are such things as contemporary classics, then this, surely is one of them.’Daily Mail
- Praise for SHADOW:“As ever, Morpurgo's warmth and humanity suffuse a story of courage, love and hope.” – Amanda Craig, The Times
- “passionate and touching” – Julia Eccleshare, Lovereading
- Praise for AN ELEPHANT IN THE GARDEN:"This is a handsome, very pickupable book. Brightly and informatively jacketed, its text punctuated by lovely, fluid ink and wash illustrations by Michael Foreman, it deserves a prominent place on school library bookshelves and, if there is any justice in the world, in bookshops."Guardian
- "A thrilling and moving new novel about an extraordinary animal caught up in a very human war, for anyone who loved The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips or The Butterfly Lion!" Waterstones
- "For readers aged eight and over, this captivating novel offers an insight into how Hitler came to power, refracted through the gaze of the young narrator."Telegraph
- "Following the stage success of War Horse, Michael Morpurgo returns with another gem in his animals in war series, An Elephant in the Garden."Telegraph