- In stock
Luxury collector’s hardback gift edition.
“All my life I’ll think of you, I promise I will. I won’t ever forget you.”
A lyrical and moving tale of a young boy growing up in Africa, and his lifelong friendship with a white lion.
Bertie rescues an orphaned lion cub from the African veld. They are inseparable until Bertie is sent to boarding school far away in England and the lion is sold to a circus. Bertie swears that one day they will see one another again, but it is the butterfly lion which ensures that their friendship will never be forgotten.
- “The Butterfly Lion is unique among animals and books, and will touch all hearts – both young and old.” – Virginia McKenna, Born Free Foundation
- “The Butterfly Lion tells of loneliness and love in a way that is wholly appropriate for young readers.” – Julia Eccleshare, chair of the adult judging panel, Smarties Prize 1996
- “A magical, mysterious story with the power to draw readers back again and again.” – Jenny Morris, adult judging panel, Smarties Prize 1996
- “This beautiful story of love and war has everything – even a great twist.” – Young Telegraph
- “This sensitive, highly visual story deserves to be recognised as a masterpiece.” – Junior Education
- “The most beautifully crafted story I’ve read for a long time.” – Wendy Cooling
- “Morpurgo writes with a fine mixture of clarity, depth and feeling.” – Sunday Times