- In stock
Heroism or cowardice? A stunning story of the First World War from a master storyteller
Told in the voice of a young soldier, the story follows 24 hours in his life at the front during WW1, and captures his memories as he looks back over his life. Full of stunningly researched detail and engrossing atmosphere, the book leads to a dramatic and moving conclusion.
Both a love story and a deeply moving account of the horrors of the First World War, this book will reach everyone from 9 to 90.
- His [Tommo’s] journey from agricultural labourer to cannon fodder is movingly told…Michael Morpurgo is expert at getting through to his readers. He writes here about events that should never be forgotten nor forgiven, and does so most effectively.Independent
- …full of warmth as well as grief, conveying vividly how precious it is to be alive…Sunday Times
- The best novel he’s written since The Butterfly Lion.Times
- Deserved to last as an insight into the First World War in the same way as, say, The Silver Sword or Goodnight Mr Tom.Telegraph
- A poignant, elegiac novel.Daily Mail