Self-Kindness Pick and Mix
Author and children’s therapist Becky Goddard-Hill shares a fun and quick way to start self-kindness.
A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows. Francis of Assisi (philosopher, mystic and preacher).
Being kind to yourself really does matter, because you matter. Just teeny tiny acts of kindness towards yourself will lift your spirits.
This might feel a bit odd or tricky at first but If you want to get good at anything in life you just have to:
1. Make a start
4. Practice some more
5. And finally, practice just that bit more.
The more you try being kind to yourself the better you will get at it and it will become easier.
Here are 28 ways you can practice being kind to yourself.
Which one will you try today?
1. Make your favourite snack
2. Write yourself a fan letter
3. Look at old photos that make you smile
4. Read a bit of a book you love
5. Ask someone to tell you a joke
6. Listen to your favourite song
7. Make a collage of your favourite things
8. Play your favourite board game
9. Bake yourself a cake
10. Spend time with your favourite people
11. List 5 beautiful things about you
12. Have a kitchen disco
13. Sing your favourite song REALLY loudly
14. Write down 3 things that have gone brilliantly for you today
15. Get a hug from someone you really like
16. Ask someone close to tell you 5 awesome things about YOU!
17. Finish this sentence: ‘I am awesome because…’
18. Learn something new today
19. Look in the mirror and notice 3 things you love about how you look
20. Write a list of your 5 favourite real-life people
21. Choose a movie for all your family to watch
22. Plant an apple seed for your future self
23. Close your eyes for 5 minutes and go to a place that makes you happy in your mind
24. Spend 30 minutes on your favourite hobby
25. Make a playlist of your happiest songs
26. Drink water with every meal
27. Repeat slowly 5 times: ‘I am a good person and I deserve kindness.’
28. Put your hand on your heart and say to yourself ‘I love you’. (I think you should do this one every day!)
If any of these activities make you feel particularly good you might want to make them a regular part of your life.
Create your own kindness… by treating yourself with love, kindness and respect over and over again.
Becky Goddard-Hill is the co-author of Create Your Own Happy, Be Happy Be You and author of Create Your Own Calm and Create Your Own Kindness.