- In stock
Level: A-level, undergraduate
Themes and Perspectives is your essential A-level and undergraduate sociology guide. It’s fully updated to match the latest sociology teaching, research and developments to support your learning about sociology today.
Brought to you by a team of experts, Collins Sociology Themes and Perspectives is written by Michael Haralambos and Martin Holborn and has supported over one million sociology students worldwide.
Build your understanding through clear and comprehensive explanations and apply your knowledge with contextualised examples and research. Stay relevant with the most up-to-date developments, empirical studies and theories while consolidating your learning with quick-reference conclusions and summaries at the end of each chapter. Bring sociology alive with full-colour explanations and photos.
New topics covered in this sociology book include globalisation, the Arab Spring, the possible decline of US power, UK Coalition policies, environmental sociology, new media, the financial crash and recession, network society, crime and deviance sociology, victimology – and many more! For additional resources, try the Haralambos and Holborn AQA A-level Sociology Themes and Perspectives Year 1 and AS (9780008242770) and Year 2 (9780008242787) sociology textbooks written specifically for the 2015 AQA specification.
• Chapter 1: Stratification, class and inequality
• Chapter 2: Sex and gender
• Chapter 3: ‘Race’, ethnicity and nationality
• Chapter 4: Poverty, social exclusion and the welfare state
• Chapter 5: Health, medicine and the body
• Chapter 6: Crime and deviance
• Chapter 7: Religion
• Chapter 8: Families, households and personal life
• Chapter 9: Power, politics and the state
• Chapter 10: Education
• Chapter 11: Culture, socialisation and identity
• Chapter 12: The mass media
• Chapter 13: Age and the life course
• Chapter 14: Methodology
• Chapter 15: Sociological theory
- "Excellent, got me to university and through it … It was an easy read, explained the concepts in very simple terms and illustrated debate with clarity, whilst remaining a readable reference book … it was so good that I loaned my copy out and it was never returned…"Review by an Access student on Amazon.co.uk
- "This book has been of great help to me during my first year at Greenwich University where I am studying a B.A. in Childhood Studies, especially the chapters on the family and education. I will be buying the new edition of this soon. It is definitely worth the money."Review by an undergraduate student on Amazon.co.uk
- "Continuing in the tradition of the 'blue bible', this book is so excellent simply because it is so comprehensive. An excellent all-round summary of sociology."Review by Mark Kirby, AS/A-level teacher and author, on Amazon.co.uk